Travel & Expat Lifestyle Magazine

Moving to Aruba

Aruba is a small island north of the Venezuelan coast. It has warm, dry weather year round, and exists outside the hurricane belt. Its official language is Dutch, but many people also speak the native language of Papiamento, as well as English and Spanish. Aruba is an autonomous region within the Kingdom of the Netherlands, and has no administrative subdivisions. Aruba has a high standard of living for a Caribbean island, and also enjoys a low unemployment rate.


You can apply for a visa through the representative of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, through an embassy or consulate, or through the Department of Foreign Affairs in Aruba.

Citizens of certain countries only need a travel document to enter Aruba and stay for up to 90 days, but others must apply for a visa. Click here to view the list of countries.

If you need a visa, you must submit the following:

  1. Completed application form
  2. Two photographs
  3. A valid passport
  4. Proof of funds
  5. If you are visiting friends or family, letter of invitation
  6. Flight/hotel information

Work Visas

If you wish to work in Aruba for at least a few months, you are required to have a formal working permit or residence permit issued by the Ministry of Justice/Department of Immigration and Naturalization (DINA). You must have a job lined up, and your employer is responsible for your permit application.

To enter Aruba on a work visa, you must submit all of the aforementioned documents, as well as an official employment letter that states your salary, position, hours, and guarantee of employment. Work permits will be granted to people with special skills that they cannot find within Aruba.

Permanent Residence Permit:

If you are applying for a residence permit without a work permit, you must submit the following:

  1. Proof of funds
  2. Home and business address for the last ten years
  3. Reasons for wanting to stay in Aruba
  4. Certificate of good conduct through police records
  5. Valid passport
  6. 3 passport photos
  7. Vaccination certificate for smallpox
  8. Medical certificate
  9. Fees

Student Visa

To be a student in Aruba, you must go through two different processes.

Before you arrive to Aruba, you must submit the following:

  1. DINA Form
  2. Copy of passport
  3. 4 passport photos
  4. Original birth certificate and Apostille
  5. Original Police Certificate and Apositille

DINA will then assign you an Inflight Permission, where you’ll be allowed to enter Aruba on a student visa.

Once in Aruba, you must submit the following:

  1. Medical clearance certificate
  2. Proof of health insurance
  3. Proof of medical tests
  4. Student fee

Click here for more information.

Moving Pets:

Pets from Central and South America are not allowed into Aruba. Otherwise, you can bring in your pet if you can provide valid rabies and health certificates from a veterinarian.

Other Information:

Click here for general information and facts about Aruba.

Click here for information about Aruban culture.

Click here for general tips about going to Aruba.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.