Travelers looking for cheap flights to Amsterdam have many options of flying into the Amsterdam Schiphol Airport. This is the main international airport of the Netherlands, and it is located in the municipality of Haarlemmermeer. It is built as one large terminal that has three large departure halls, as well as five main runways. These three departure halls are divided into piers, which are separated into Schengen and non-Schengen areas, for immigration purposes.
Amsterdam Schiphol Airport Information
The Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (AMS) has some expansion plans, and they may create a new terminal, thereby ending the single-terminal concept the airport currently uses. Amenities at this airport include information desks, lost and found, a prayer room, ATMs, currency exchange, a free art museum, 24 hour shower facilities, a post office, mobile phone hire, Wi-Fi, a medical center, child play areas, massages, casinos, bars, cafes, restaurants, business facilities and disabled services. It even has its own mortuary.
Airlines That Fly Into Amsterdam
The Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (AMS) is a busy, important airport, being the 3rd largest in Europe, and 5th busiest in the continent (in terms of passenger volume). There are direct flights to 260 different destinations, in 91 countries. This airport is a hub for Amsterdam Airlines, Arkefly, Delta, KLM, Martinair and Transavia. Some other airlines include Easy Jet, Syrian Air and United.
Amsterdam Transit Information
Distance to city: 10 miles
Bus to city
- Fare: €2.92-€4.80
- Travelers can catch the Zuidtangent or Interliner bus lines to Amsterdam. The local bus line, Zuidtangent 197, goes into the south-west center of Amsterdam; the express bus, Interliner 370, goes downtown, but is about as fast as the local bus.
Train to city
- Fare: €3.60
- There is a station located directly below the airport, and it takes about 15 minutes to get into Amsterdam. People can take this train to connect to many other cities as well.
Taxi to city
- Fare: €20-40, depending on distance
- It takes about 25-30 minutes to get into the city, depending on traffic.
- There are several hotel courtesy shuttle buses at this airport.
Car Rental Companies at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
These car rental companies are located in the Schiphol Plaza, directly behind the arrivals hall.