Travel & Expat Lifestyle Magazine

Moving to Anguilla

Anguilla is a tiny island country, only slightly bigger than Manhattan, located in the Caribbean Sea close to Puerto Rico. Its capital is “The Valley,” in the center of the island. Most of the year is very warm, hardly more or less than 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Its official language is English, and most people on the island are West African. Only about 13,000 people live on the island.


Citizens of the United States, Canada, the EU and the UK can enter Anguilla with a passport and return ticket. All others must obtain a visa. You will likely be interviewed as to your intent of visit. You must have a valid passport, return tickets, and you must submit an application.

Work Permits

To work in Anguilla, you must obtain an work permit from the Department of Labor. It must be approved by the Department of Immigration. This is necessary if you want to be employed for any length of time. In order to be hired, the position must be advertised on the radio to prove that no natives in Anguilla can fill the spot. Work permits cannot exceed four years, unless you are considered essential to the development of Anguilla.

In order to apply for such a permit, or to start a business in Anguilla, you must submit the following documents:

  1. Passport
  2. Police records for past 10 years
  3. Certified academic/skills certificates
  4. Medical report
  5. 3 passport photos
  6. Three character references of people who have known you at least three years
  7. Tax clearance form from the government of Anguilla

In order to start a business, you also must submit a detailed business plan and business license.

Read this article for more information.

Permits of Permanent Residence

There are certain ways you can come to Anguilla and receive one of these permits. You will be able to enter and remain in Anguilla without immigration control. Unless you already have a work permit, you cannot engage in activities for profit or employment. You must show a certificate of good conduct to obtain a PPR.

PPRs are granted to: people who have been granted work permits for seven or more years; children under 17 of these work permit holders; people who have invested at least $2,500,000 in an Anguillian business; highly qualified professionals or investors in the legal/financial service who help economic development, who has been in Anguilla for at least five years; anyone else who is designated to help economic development, who has been in Anguilla for at least five years; retired people who have property in Anguilla; people who have resided legally for at least seven years.

If you are a non-belonger who has lived in Anguilla for 10 years, you can apply for a PPR by submitting an application, proof of residence and good character, and required fees.

Visit the Immigration Policy of Anguilla for more information.

Moving Pets

In order to bring a pet into Anguilla, you must obtain a Pet Import Permit, which is valid for one month. Your pet must be vaccinated against rabies.

It must present the following information:

  1. Your name
  2. Country of origin
  3. Breed of dog (if necessary)
  4. Original health certificate from your vet

Other Information:

Click here for information on Anguilla Customs.

Click here for information about real estate in Anguilla.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *