Travel & Expat Lifestyle Magazine

Moving to Denmark

Denmark is the Southernmost of the Nordic countries. It is a constitutional monarchy, with a parliamentary government system. It has a high level of income equality, and has often been ranked “the happiest place in the world,” and also the second most peaceful country, after Iceland.


To enter Denmark, people from certain countries must obtain a visa. Click here for the lists of countries that do or do not need a visa. For those who need visas, you are required to show a passport, two passport photos, an invitation from a reference from Denmark, such as who you are visiting (if possible), and the Alien Identification Number (if applicable). You will usually have to pay a processing fee.

Work Permit:

Nordic citizens are free to live, study and work in Denmark. EU and EEA citizens may be subject to certain regulations.

If you are not from those European countries, the Immigration Service will review your request for a work permit. They are generally not granted for labor or unskilled positions. You must be offered a job and show the written job contract or job offer, which illustrates the salary and employment conditions in Danish standards.

The Danish work system is very organized, so you can check whether the job you are applying to has specific regulations. Many professions fall under the Positive List, such as Dentist, Social Worker, Bioanalyst or Production Manager. On this list, you can view the educational requirements, and if the position needs Danish authorization.

To apply for a job as an employee, your employer in Denmark has to begin the application forms. He or she will send the next application forms to you. You must provide your passport, information about your education, and previous employment. Applications forms can be submitted in Denmark or through foreign consulates. There are special applications for religious workers and self-employment.

Click here for information about Jobseeking in Denmark.

Student Visas:

There are many international student-oriented educational institutions in Denmark. You must be able to speak and understand the language of your course, which can be Danish, English, German, Swedish or Norwegian.

In order to apply for a student visa (which entitles you to a temporary residence permit), you must submit:

  1. Copy of passport
  2. Passport photo
  3. Acceptance letter from Danish institution
  4. Documentation that tuition has been paid for

You must submit all of this information to the Immigration Service, who will send your permit to the diplomatic office of your home country. The length of your residence permit depends on your course of study.

Click here for further details.

Moving Pets to Denmark:

You must obtain a PETS Passport to move your pet to Denmark and avoid quarantine.

You must do the following:

  1. Get your pet microchipped
  2. Treat your pet for ticks and fleas 24 hours before departure
  3. Confirm that your pet can travel
  4. Get a veterinary certification
  5. Get your pet vaccinated from rabies
  6. Have your vaccination records on hand
  7. Have your pet in a legitimate container
  8. Talk to your veterinarian about sedation on the plane
  9. Book your pet’s flight ahead of time
  10. Be certain that your carrier accepts pets

Start this process as soon as you can.

Visit FYI Denmark for more details.

Other Information:

Visit FYI Denmark for information on many different categories.

See listings for Denmark Real Estate to view prices on housing.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *