Travel & Expat Lifestyle Magazine

Buying Real Estate in Sweden

Sweden is a good place to buy real estate you like the cold weather and never ending sunlight at certain portions of the year. They have a very high standard of living, and they are one of the most clean, safe countries in Europe.

Since there was a real estate contruction boom, over half of the properties in Sweden have been built in the last 50 years. Buying real estate in Sweden is pretty basic and simple, so long as you follow the rules.

Attorneys and Real Estate Agents

An attorney can be helpful when buying real estate in Sweden, but this is not a requirement. It is a good idea in general, when you buy a property as an expat. An attorney can help you with some of the bureaucratic duties, such as applying for the deed of title and registering the property in your name.

Real estate agents are more common. They will help you research the type of property you are looking for. They will also prepare the “contract of sale,” when the time comes.

Rules, Regulations and Restrictions

There are no legal restrictions against foreigners from owning property in Sweden.

There are certain fees that go along with purchasing real estate in Sweden. There is the Stamp Duty, after you sign the contract, which is 1% of the purchase price. If you take out a mortgage, you must also pay a 2% mortgage tax to the government.

General Process

First, you should settle on a property and make an offer to the seller. Since agents are common, you’ll probably end up making an offer to the real estate agent rather than the seller.

Your real estate agent will come up with the “contract of sale.” You and the seller must sign this contract.

You should then have the property surveyed. If you are taking out a mortgage, then the bank usually sets this up for you. If you are paying cash, then you should hire an independent surveyor.

Once the contracts are completed, you need to apply for the deeds of title within three months, and then submit this to get registered. If you have an attorney, they will help you with this.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *