Travel & Expat Lifestyle Magazine

Moving to Argentina

Argentina is the second largest country in South America. Its population mostly consists of immigrants that came from Europe in the 19th and 20th centuries, mainly from Italy and Spain, and it is still a major center for expats.


Work Visa:

If you want to work, or even intern, in Argentina, you must apply for a visa through the National Directorate of Migration. There is a fee, but that changes depending on what country you are from.

There are different types of Argentinian work visas. The Article 29 (e) Visa is for short term work, initially for 15 days, and can be then extended for another 15 days once you are in Argentina. The Article 15 (E) Visa is for employees and interns with companies in Argentina, and lasts for a minimum of 6-12 months. You must present a formal contract between yourself and the company. The Article 15 (E) Visa under provision 18/94 is for people sent abroad by their companies for over 6-12 months. Article 15 also serves as a Temporary Residence Visa.

In order to apply for this visa, you must submit:

  1. Labor contract with an Argentinian company
  2. Birth certificate, translated into Spanish
  3. Marital declaration (if necessary, and you wish to move your spouse)
  4. Passport for each family member
  5. 3 passport photos per family member

Upon arrival to Argentina, you must obtain further documentation. You must apply for the DNI (National Identity Document), which works like a social security number, within 90 days of moving somewhere in Argentina.

You must submit:

  1. Your original birth certificate
  2. Certificate of residence
  3. Document with your personal address

Once you start working, you also must apply for the CUIT, a unique tax identification code so you can contribute taxes, and the CUIL, a code for work identification purposes.

For more details, visit Just Landed.

Student Visas:

For many countries, citizens can enter for up to 90 days as tourists and stay without a visa.

If you want to apply for a visa for Longer-Term Studies, you can enter as a tourist and then submit the following documents to the Direccion Nacional de Migraciones within 30 days:

  1. Letter of admission
  2. Student exchange program certified by the organizing educational institution of Argentina (if applicable)
  3. Completed application form
  4. Passport
  5. Clear criminal record from past residencies
  6. Clear criminal record from Argentina
  7. Parental consent to travel for minors
  8. Birth certificate
  9. Immigration fee

Visit the Embassy of Argentina for more information, and guidelines about specific countries.

Moving Pets to Argentina:

Dogs are popular in Argentina, among both locals and expats. Animals do not have to undergo quarantine if you take all the right steps. You must provide information about yourself, such as your name, address, country of origin and any country in transit.

You must write down the following information about the pet:

  1. Breed
  2. Gender
  3. Birth Date
  4. Size
  5. Weight
  6. Fur Color
  7. Particular Signs

You must vaccinate your pet against rabies within three months of arrival. You must also obtain a zoosanitary certificate that states your pet has no signs of infectious-contagious diseases from the country of origin.

Click here for more information.

Other Information:

  • Visit the Embassy of Argentina for official information.
  • Check out housing prices and listings for sale at Argentina Real Estate
  • Click here for a personal article about moving.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *