Travel & Expat Lifestyle Magazine

Moving to Canada

Canada is the world’s second biggest country in its landmass. It is a parliamentary democracy still officially under the British crown. Moving to Canada can be different, depending on which province you choose to move into. Quebec will often have separate application standards from the rest of the country.

Visas in Canada:

Work Visas in Canada:

There are a few different forms of obtaining work in Canada, one of which could be a Temporary Work Permit. You must arrange a job beforehand with a Canadian employer. Requirements and processing times depend on your job and when you come to Canada.

In order to apply for a Temporary Work Visa from outside Canada, you must submit:

  1. Documentation of a job offer from a Canadian employer
  2. Completed application
  3. Written Confirmation from the HR and Skills Development Canada that the employer can hire a foreign worker for the job

Then you must meet with an officer and prove the following:

  1. You will leave Canada when your permit expires
  2. You have financial backing for you and your family
  3. You have no criminal record
  4. You do not risk Canadian security
  5. You are in good health

For more details, and information about applying from outside of Canada, click here.

If you want to live and work in Canada permanently, you must apply for a different category, such as a Skilled Worker.

Sometimes you can apply after working under a temporary worker permit for over a year. Otherwise, you must have a job lined up, or have at least a year of experience in certain fields.

You must prove your education, work experience, adequacy in English or French, age and adaptability. Click here for more information, and further qualifications.

Student Visas in Canada:

You do not need a visa if you plan to take a semester or course that is under six months in length.

In order to obtain a student visa as a long-term student, you must submit the following:

  1. Proof of acceptance
  2. Valid passport
  3. Two recent passport sized photos with names on back
  4. Criminal background check
  5. Medical examination

You must also prove to an officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your studies.

Once you apply, and your documents are processed, you will receive a letter confirming the approval. You may be sent a Temporary Resident Visa, if you come from a country that requires this document.

Click here for information about if your letter is not approved.

Moving Pets to Canada:

Canada has different regulations depending on what type of pet you are bringing into the country.

In order to move in a cat, you must have a certificate signed by a veterinarian that states its rabies vaccination, the company of the vaccination, its serial number and its expiration. This certificate must also list the cat’s breed, color and weight. Cats must be over three months old to enter.

There are different requirements for dogs, and also for amphibians and reptiles.

Other Information:

Visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website for an overview of official information.

One Stop Canada provides information and links for various resources.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *