Travel & Expat Lifestyle Magazine

Moving to Chile

The Republic of Chile is a western South American country, that stretches along the Pacific Ocean. It also includes the islands of Easter Island, Desventuradas, Salas y Gomez, and Juan Fernandez, as well as some of Antarctica. It has a very diverse climate, ranging from the northern Atacama, the world’s driest desert, to forests, lakes and mountains in the south. Chile is one of South America’s most prosperous, developed nations, and has a high quality of life and political stability. Its official language is Spanish, and its capital is Santiago.


Tourist card

You can get a Tourist Card before or during your entrance to Chile. It is valid for 90 days, and requires fees from certain countries like the Untied States, Canada and Australia. You must have a valid passport.

Nationals of the former USSR, as well as most African and Asian countries, will require a visa to enter Chile. If you are from these countries, you should contact your nearest Chilean embassy or consulate.

Temporary Residency Visa

This type of visa lasts a year, and can be renewed a single time. If you are employed and your job ends before the expiration of this visa, this visa is still good, so you can still be in Chile even if you’re not working. It is good for freelancers, people who are self-employed and people who are working for foreign companies in Chile.

In order to apply for a Temporary Residence Visa, you must submit the following:

  1. 2 notarized copies of your passport
  2. 2 notarized copies of your tourist card
  3. 2 photographs, with passport number
  4. Certificate from your employer, or description of your job if you are self-employed

When you have obtained this visa, you must register with the International Police, as well as get a Chilean Identity Card.

Click here for more details, and information about applying for permanent residency.

Work Visa

Chile has working holiday agreements with New Zealand, Canada and Australia, meaning that they can work full or part time in Chile for up to six months. You are required to be between 18-30 to do this. Click here for more details.

For everyone else, you are required to have a work visa and labor contract to work as a foreigner in Chile.

To apply, you must submit:

  1. Valid passport
  2. Application forms 1 and 2, completed in capitals
  3. Health certificate, stating that you are healthy and have to infectious diseases
  4. Results from an HIV/HTLV test
  5. Police records
  6. Four passport photos (color or black and white)
  7. Work contract, signed before the Consul of Chile

The medical and police documents must be done recently, a minimum of thirty days before arrival.

Student Visa

If you want to study in a Chilean high school or university, you are required to have a student visa.

You must submit:

  1. Valid passport
  2. Application forms 1 and 2, completed in capitals
  3. Health certificate, stating that you are healthy and have no infectious diseases
  4. Results of an HIV/HTLV test
  5. Police records
  6. Four color passport photos (color)
  7. Proof of financial support
  8. Letter of acceptance from your school
  9. Fees

Moving Pets

In order to move your pet to Chile, you must go through several procedures. Make sure your veterinarian is approved by the Government Veterinarian Authority from your home country. Your pet is required to be microchipped. Dogs must be vaccinated against Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvo, Leptospirosis, Corona Virus, Parainfluenza and Rabies. Cats are required to be vaccinated against Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus, Panleukopenia and Rabies. You also must present an International Health Certificate.

Other Information

Click here for information on buying real estate in Chile.

Click here for information on Chilean culture.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *