Travel & Expat Lifestyle Magazine

Moving to Czech Republic

An increasingly popular country to foreigners, the Czech Republic is located right in the center of the continent, and has long been a buffer zone between Eastern and Western Europe.

In order to move to the Czech Republic, there are several different processes to obtain a visa and/or permit, depending on your reason and intent for stay. These visas require a passport and either a job or sufficient funding. Members of the European Union do not need to go through most of these processes.

Visas in the Czech Republic:

Members of EU countries do not need to apply for a visa if they plan on exceeding a 90 day stay in the Czech Republic. However, for non-EU residents to stay over 90 days, they must apply for a long-term visa, and they must do so outside the country. This process usually takes about 2 to 3 months. If you are already in the Czech Republic, the closest places outside the perimeter are in Vienna, Austria, Dresden, Germany, or Bratislava, Slovakia.

To apply, you must submit:

  1. a passport
  2. three passport-sized photographs
  3. a proof of purpose of stay (such as a trade license or an extract from commercial register)
  4. proof of sufficient financial means (not required for employees)
  5. proof of address of residence in the Czech Republic
  6. proof of good character
  7. proof of health insurance

Once you get a visa, you must visit the foreign police to stamp the visa in your passport. Family members of the applicant are also eligible, given they provide marriage or birth certificates.

Work Permit in Czech Republic:

To apply for a work permit, you must submit:

  1. identification information, such as your first and family names, country of citizenship, birth number and date of birth
  2. your address in your permanent country of residence
  3. a travel document and number

You must also provide information about your job, such as the identification of the future employer, and the type and place of the work. You must include a declaration from your employer that he or she will employ you, a notarized copy of a document your personal competence for the field in which you will work, as well as a medical confirmation.

The work permit will be given to you if it is evaluated that your position cannot be occupied otherwise. Once passed, this work permit will last for one year until renewal, is nontransferable, and is valid only for that specific job.

For more information about regulations with specific countries and job information, click here. For more details, click here.

Student Visa:

The Czech Republic has many international universities with many different programs.

To study abroad, you must supply the Czech police with:

  1. a travel document
  2. a letter of acceptance
  3. a financial agreement that you will be able to fund your studies
  4. a confirmation of guaranteed accommodation in the CR
  5. a health insurance card
  6. a criminal background check.

Once passed, you will get a visa stamped in your passport. This process takes about 6-8 weeks.

For official information, click here.

Moving Pets to the Czech Republic:

Though there are no quarantine laws, there are several steps to bring your cat, dog or ferret to the Czech Republic. You will need to show a Certificate of Rabies Vaccination, and a Veterinary Certificate of Health that is good for four months. You also must get your pet microchipped or tattooed. For more details, click here.

For information about how to physically send your pet, click here.

Other Information:

  • The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic contains information for aliens, and more details about different types of visas:
  • Expats.cz is an excellent resource for jobs, real estate and general information about living in the Czech Republic.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *