Travel & Expat Lifestyle Magazine

Moving to Egypt

The Arab Republic of Egypt is considered both a Northern African and Middle Eastern country (in Sinai). It is bordered by the Mediterranean Sea in the North and the Red Sea in the East. It is a populated area around the Nile region, though if you go far out, there are some scarcely populated desert regions. Its official language is Egyptian Arabic and its official religion is Islam. It has one of the most rapidly developing economies of its region. Some important historical parts of Egyptian culture include ancient Egypt and its remaining archaeological sites, to the French invasions under Napoleon, to the attempt to stay out of the Cold War. It is a Semi-Presidential Republic, and its capital is Cairo.


Tourist Visa

Citizens of many Middle Eastern countries are free to enter Egypt by just presenting a valid passport.

Everyone else needs to obtain a tourist visa. You can get this by showing a valid passport and paying appropriate fees. You can get this in the airport, or apply in advance to an Egyptian embassy. If you are traveling from Eilat, Israel, you have to pay the Israeli border guards fees for exiting their country. You will be granted a no-fee, fourteen-day visa to only go to the Sinai Peninsula. To enter into greater Egypt this way, you need to make arrangements with a travel company and obtain a visa. You can get a tourist visa for up to three months, but are not permitted to work.

Click here for more information.

Work Visa

If you are a foreigner who wants to work in Egypt, you should obtain a work permit and or work/business visa before you enter. You can acquire one from the Ministry of Manpower and Immigration offices in your employer’s district. This entitles you to residency. Your employer is the one that obtains your work permit.  You must submit the results from an HIV test to work in Egypt.

Click here or here for some resources for Egyptian job searching. Some growing job sectors include teaching, tourism, trade, government, health and investment.

Student Visa

Students can sometimes go to Egypt under a tourist visa, depending on the length of their stay. If you need to apply for a student visa, you must submit the following documents:

1.       Passport

2.       Completed application form

3.       1 recent photograph

4.       Airline tickets

5.       Fees

You also may be required to submit the results of an HIV test.

Moving Pets

In order to import your pet to Egypt, you must have it microchipped. You also must have it vaccinated against rabies and all other appropriate diseases. You are required to present a vaccine certificate, which describes the name of the pet, the name of the owner, breed, gender, age, and information about the vaccines. If you are traveling from the US, you are required to present an APHIS form 7001, which you can probably get from your vet.

Other Information

Click here for the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Click here for information about real estate in Egypt.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *