Travel & Expat Lifestyle Magazine

Moving to Estonia

Estonia is a country in Northern Europe, on the Baltic Sea and Gulf of Finland. Estonians are considered Finnic people, and their official language, Estonian, is similar to Finnic. It is a small country with a temperate seasonal climate. Russians make up approximately one-fifth of the population. It is a democrati c parliamentary republic, and also one of the least-populous European Union members. It has a mainland as well as around 1,500 islands.


Citizens of the EU, EEA and Switzerland are allowed to work or start a business in Estonia without any permits. All they have to do is register with Estonian authorities within 30 days. EU citizens may also be able to obtain a temporary residence visa.

Click here for information about entry and entry visas.

Work Permit

Anyone not from the EU, EEA or Switzerland is required to obtain a temporary residence permit for the purpose of employment. You should have a job lined up to do this.

To apply for such a a visa, you must submit the following:

1.       Valid passport

2.       Two passport photos

3.       Documentation with details about your purpose of residency; can be a work contract or written confirmation from your employer

You can apply for this inside of Estonia, which takes about 60 days to process, or from outside, which takes 180 days. Temporary residence permits for employment last for five years and can be extended for another five years.

Click here for more details.

Student Visa

You do not need a permit if you are from the EU/EEA. Anyone can apply for such a permit outside of Estonia, and nationals of certain countries are allowed to apply when they are actually in Estonia.

If you apply for a permit from outside of Estonia, you must submit the following to a consulate or embassy:

1.       Official invitation for the residence permit; “Confirmation of educational institution or students organisation that the student will start studies in certain educational institution” (not just an acceptance letter)

2.       Document to certify your legal income

3.       Application forms

4.       Proof of health insurance, or that you plan to purchase health insurance in Estonia

5.       Identity document

6.       Color photograph

7.       Document certifying that you’ve paid the state fee

Visit the website for the University of Tartu for more details.

Click here for information on studying abroad in Estonia.

Moving Pets

In order to move your pet to Estonia, you must have your pet microchipped, vaccinated against rabies and against all appropriate diseases for its species. You must also present an EU Health Certificate Form EC#: 998. All of this paperwork must be presented at the same time as you import your pet through customs. For all of the certification to be valid, your vet must be approved by the Government Veterinary Authority from its country of origin.

Click here for more details.

Other Information

Click here for information about culture and hobbies in Estonia.

Click here for information about currency and ownership in Estonia.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *