Travel & Expat Lifestyle Magazine

Moving to Hungary

The Republic of Hungary is a landlocked country in Central Europe, with its capital in Budapest, a cosmopolitan city on the Danube River. Its official language is Hungarian, a Finno-Ugric language that is difficult for foreigners to learn. It is currently a parliamentary republic and a developed, high-income country. It is famous in recent history for the 1956 uprisings against the Soviet forces that occupied and controlled the country. In recent years, it has become an increasingly popular tourist destination. The population is mainly homogenous: 95% Magyar, or Hungarian, and 5% Roma and other groups.


Work Visa/Permit

Hungary has recently joined the European Union, so the rules about obtaining a work permit are currently changing. Most non-EU citizens and some EU citizens require a work permit. You do not need a work permit if you are from: Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK.

In order to obtain a work visa, you must first obtain a Valid Work Permit, then a Labor Agreement, then provide Proof of Accommodation. This application process to initially get the work permit takes 25 days. First, your prospective employer must advertise your prospective job in local Hungarian papers, to make sure that there is a labor shortage or that no Hungarian citizens could fill the spot. Once advertised for 15 days, your employer can then begin the process of your work permit application, which takes 10-15 days to process.

Once the work permit passes, you will then have to apply for a work visa through the Hungarian embassy or consulate of your home country. As stated, you will need to provide proof of the written contract of your labor agreement, and proof of accommodation. A work permit entitles you to reside in Hungary. The work visa and permit are valid for two years and can be renewed.

Read this article for more details.

Student Visa

Members of the EU and EEA do not need a student visa to study in Hungary.

Students from other countries are required to obtain a Student Visa. You must first be accepted by an accredited Hungarian educational institution, and they will send you an acceptance letter in English and in Hungarian.

In order to apply for a visa, you are required to submit the following to your local Hungarian embassy:

  1. Visa application form
  2. Passport
  3. Three passport photos
  4. Acceptance letter in English/Hungarian
  5. Transit visa, if necessary
  6. Bank receipt to show you paid your tuition
  7. Visa fee

Your embassy could ask you for airfare tickets and proof of accommodation.

Once you land in Hungary, you must register your address with the Municipality Office within 15 days.

Click here for information on studying abroad in Hungary.

Moving Pets

In order to import your pet into Hungary, you must show the following documents at customs:

  1. Original Health Certificate (form 7001)
  2. Dual language certificate
  3. Original rabies vaccination record
  4. History of your pet’s vet records
  5. Copy of owner’s passport
  6. EU Entry form
  7. Copy of your visa or work permit
  8. If your pet is sent as cargo, a copy of your airline bills

Make sure you have everything properly arranged and organized before you land in Hungary.

Other Information

Click here for information on real estate in Hungary.

Click here for maps of Hungary.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *