Travel & Expat Lifestyle Magazine

Moving to Netherlands

The Netherlands, also known as Holland, is a parliamentary democratic constitutional monarchy located in Northwestern Europe. Dutch is the name for the people, culture and language of the Netherlands. It is a densely populated country, and also one of the most free-market economies in the world. Its capital is Amsterdam but the government is in the Hague.


Visas differ in terms of your purpose of visiting, your country of origin, and how long you intend to stay. Click here for a calculator that determines your visa application process.

Work Visa

Citizens of the EU and EEA do not need any permits to work in the Netherlands.

For non European nationals, it is advised to directly contact companies you could potentially work for. To ultimately obtain a work permit in the Netherlands, you must have a job lined up before you apply. If a company wants to hire you, they will start your work permit application process. They must prove that no other EU person could fill your job, and must advertise this vacancy for a minimum of six weeks. Your permit is valid only for your one company. Visit Undutchables for more information.

Generally, you have to be a professional with specific skills and qualifications for your job. You must be between the ages 18-45. If your work permit is granted, it will be followed up by a residence permit, in which you will have to provide a criminal background check. Generally, your spouse will be allowed to work in the Netherlands once you have landed your job.

The Netherlands is a region of financial power and political stability, so there has been an influx of business immigration from non EU/EEA countries. There are many spaces in the technology and telecommunication system. There are specific work permits granted to information technology specialists. Click here for more details on this subject.

Click here for information about highly skilled migrants.

Student Visa

EU/EEA nationals and nationals from the USA, Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, South Korea and Vatican City do not need a visa to study in the Netherlands for up to 90 days. They must, however, report their stay to the Aliens Police. You must show them a valid passport, your address in the Netherlands and proof that you can support yourself.

If you are exceeding a 90 day stay, you must apply for a provisional residence permit (MVV). You should apply from your nearest Dutch embassy or consulate.

You must submit the following documents:

  1. Valid passport
  2. Letter of acceptance from Dutch school or institution
  3. Proof that you can support yourself
  4. Proof of health insurance

There are also some specific requirements from different countries. Click here for more details.

Visit Nuffic for more information about education.

Click here for more information.

Moving Pets

To move your pet to the Netherlands, you must obtain a pet passport. It must be examined by a veterinarian and vaccinated against rabies. You must provide information about the date of vaccination, your pet’s breed, sex, colors and markings, as well as your name. It must be microchipped or tattooed for identification.

Click here for more details.

Other Information

Visit Gateways Moving for more information about moving to the Netherlands.

Visit How to Survive Holland for cultural details.

Click here for official information.

Click here for information about taxes.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *