Travel & Expat Lifestyle Magazine

Moving to Norway

The Kingdom of Norway is a country on the Western Scandinavian peninsula, on the North Sea and Norwegian Sea. Its coastline is famous for its fjords. Today it is the wealthiest country in the world, a large result of its oil reserves, and has the largest capital per capita of any country. Its economy is also powered by hydropower, fish, forests and minerals. It also has a large social welfare system with universal healthcare, subsidized higher education and a social security system. It is part of the UN, NATO, the Council of Europe, the Nordic Council and the EEA. Its capital is Oslo and its official language is Norwegian. About 90% of the population is ethnic Norwegian.  It is a parliamentary democracy under a constitutional monarchy.


Work Permit

There is not one work permit in Norway. It all depends on your expertise or the type of job you are applying for. The process is different for ethnic cooks, journalists, seamen, artists/musicians or market traders.

One popular permit is for skilled workers. To obtain this specific permit, you must have specialist training, which means at least three years of vocational training at upper secondary school. You also may need to meet certain special qualifications, and these are different depending on what type of job you are looking for. There are stricter skill requirements for certain jobs over others. Your expertise also must be considered necessary for the business. There also must be a shortage of labor in Europe for your job.

There must be a definite and current offer of employment for you to apply for a skilled worker permit. This application must relate to full time work which you do for one company. Your offered wage must not be less than the average wage for your job in Norway.

To apply for a skilled worker permit, you must complete an application form in your country of origin. You must wait for your permit to be granted before you begin working. You must submit the application to your nearest Norwegian embassy or consulate. Your employer may also apply for you.

You must also submit the following documents:

1.       An offer of employment form

2.       Documentation of training

3.       Documentation of professional experience (resume)

4.       CV

5.       Information about residence

6.       Passport photo

7.       Copy of passport

8.       Fee

9.       Written power of attorney, if your employer applies on behalf of you

When your application is approved, your permit can last for one, two or three years. It also lets you have a settlement permit.

Click here for information about application forms and documents.

Student Visa

If you are a foreign national who wishes to study in Norway for over three months full-time, you are required to apply for a student visa. You must be ensured housing and subsistence.

You must submit the following documents:

1.       Application form for students

2.       Passport photo

3.       Letter of admission from your school

4.       Information about residence

5.       Information about subsistence

6.       Copy of passport

7.       Fee

You are allowed to work for up to 20 hours a week under a student visa.

Moving Pets

In order to move your pet to Norway, you are required to have it microchipped. You must also have it vaccinated against rabies, and provide documentation. You must also have it blood tested afterwards to make sure the rabies vaccination is working. Dogs and cats also must be treated against tapeworm. You are required to obtain an EU Vet Health Certificate and have it filled out by an accredited veterinarian. You must also present an International Health Certificate.

Click here for more information.

Other Information

Click here for information on real estate in Norway.

Click here for general information on culture in Norway.

Click here for more general information on culture in Norway from a student perspective.

Click here for information on embassies of Norway.

Click here for a map of Norway.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *