Travel & Expat Lifestyle Magazine

Moving to Peru

The Republic of Peru is located in Western South America, and is often identified by its ancient history of the Norte Chico civilization and Inca Empire. It had a period of Spanish rule from the 16th-19th centuries, and has been independent since 1821. Peru has many resident ethnicities, such as Amerindians, Europeans, Africans and Asians. Spanish is the official language, though there are many local ethnic languages. Peru is divided into the geographical regions of the coast on the West side, the sierra area in the highlinds of the Andes mountains, and the jungle in the east, which encompasses part of the Amazon rainforest.


There are many different types of visas for Peru. Residents from many countries may stay up to 183 days without a tourist visa. Those who do need a tourist visa must fill out a form, show their passports and passport photos, present their flight tickets, prove their financial backing and show hotel reservations, if necessary.

Work Visas:

In order to get a work visa in Peru, you must contact the Peruvian General Directorate of Immigration and Naturalization (DIGEMIN).

Once the visa is authorized, your foreign consulate can issue you a Resident Working Visa. Make sure to tell the DIGEMIN authorities where you are located, so they can send your visa to your nearest consulate. You must bring the following documents to the consulate to obtain the visa:

  1. Valid passport
  2. Two visa application forms
  3. Two color passport photos
  4. Flight ticket or reservation that shows when you go to Peru
  5. Fees

Visit Jobs Abroad and Maps of World for an idea of the types of jobs in Peru.

Student Visas:

Student Visas are not necessary for nationals of many countries to stay up to 90 days. Student visas are not issued by consulates, so you must contact the DIGEMIN.

For a student visa, you must show all of the necessary requirements. In addition, you are required to present an official declaration letter that you will enroll in pre-professional or specialized studies that you will be enrolled for up to one year. You must also prove financial stability, that you have paid or can pay your education, room and board.

Lima, the capital of Peru, has many universities and colleges. Visit Study Abroad: Peru for an idea of the education opportunities.

There are also visas for artists, religious workers, and independent investors.

Moving Pets to Peru:

In order to move your pets to Peru, you must present a Vaccination and Rabies Vaccination certificate, along with a Health Certificate.

Other Information:

Click here for information about customs regulations.

Click here for information about expat health insurance.

Click here for a list of embassies and consulates.

Click here for bike paths in Lima.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *