Travel & Expat Lifestyle Magazine

Moving to Romania

Romania is a country in Southeastern Europe, which has mountains in the north and a valley in the South. It contains the Danube River, which flows into the Black Sea. Its population is 90% Romanian and 7% Hungarian. Its official language is Romanian, which is a Latin language with Slavic influences.

The country has many natural resources, like oil, natural gas, iron, copper and bauxite. It has a vast history of imperial powers ruling it, from the Roman Empire to the Ottoman Empire, and then to the USSR. Today, it is an upper-middle income country, but has one of the lowest income levels in the EU. Its city, Sibiu, in Transylvania, has been chosen as the European Capital of Culture in 2007. Its capital is Bucharest, and it is a semi-presidential unitary state.


Work Visa

You can apply for a work visa in Romania if you already have a job lined up and can provide documentation. You can obtain an application from the Ministry of Labor and Social Protection. It is recommended that you apply from outside of Romania at least five weeks before your arrival. Since the rules change often, it is in your best interest to contact this Ministry for the official required documentation.

Because Romania has joined the EU, some of the rules are in the process of changing.

Temporary Residence Visa

If you wish to work in Romania and stay there for at least 120 days, you must also apply for a residence visa. You should contact the Ministry of Internal Affairs in the area that you are going to reside, before you get there. To legally reside in Romania, you must show the government both proof of health insurance and proof of funds.

Permanent Residence Visa

You can apply for a permanent residence visa if you are legally staying in Romania for three years. The application is to be submitted to the territorial units of the Office for Immigration.

You must also provide the following documents:

  1. Proof of health insurance
  2. Criminal records
  3. Notarized copies of all civil status documents
  4. Documents of financial data
  5. Certificate from a doctor showing your medical condition

Student Visa

To apply for a student visa, you must first be accepted as a full-time student at an accredited Romanian educational institution. You must be able to support yourself without any government funds from Romania. You are required to pay for your education, accommodations and living expenses. On a student visa, you may work for 20 hours a week on regular weeks and 40 hours a week on holiday weeks.

Moving Pets

To move your pet to Romania, it is required to be microchipped. Dogs and cats must be vaccinated against rabies, and all other appropriate diseases. You must also acquire an EU Vet Health Certificate, and have that filled out by an accredited veterinarian. You must also present an International Health Certificate. There may be additional requirements depending on your country of origin.

Other Information

Click here for information about Romanian history.

Click here for information about Romanian culture.

Click here for information about Dracula.

Click here for a map of Romania.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *