Travel & Expat Lifestyle Magazine

Moving to South Korea

South Korea is sometimes called simply Korea, or the Republic of Korea. It occupies the Southern half of the Korean Peninsula, under North Korea. Its capital is Seoul, which is a global city that is the second largest metropolitan city in the entire world. It has a temperate climate with a mountainous terrain. It is the third most densely populated country in the world, with a population of over 48 million in 100,000 square kilometers. It is a presidential republic, and is a developed nation with a high standard of living. It has an export-driven economy, which makes products like electronics and automobiles. It is a member of the UN, WTO and G-20. The United States army has a strong presence in South Korea.


Work Visas

There are several different types of work visas in South Korea. They include: Short Term Employment Visa (C-4); Corporate Resident/Company Assignment (Intra-company transfer) (D-7); Foreign Investment Visa (D-8); Trade Management Visa (D-9); Professional Job Visa (E-5); and the Specific Job Visa (E-7).

You may apply for any one of these visas at a Korean Embassy or consulate. Your application should be initially filled out by your sponsoring employer in South Korea, through the Ministry of Justice and the Entry Inspection Division of Immigration Office. The Ministry of Justice inspects your case, and if they approve you, they issue a Certificate of Confirmation of Visa Issuance (CCVI). That document must be sent to the consulate or embassy that you are working with in your home country.

You must submit these following documents at your nearest Korean embassy:

  1. 2 passport photos
  2. Copy of passport ID page
  3. Resume/CV
  4. Copy of academic history
  5. Original contract
  6. Description of your prospective job

The following documents also must be presented, from South Korea:

  1. Letter of invitation
  2. Copy of company report or registration under the Foreign Investment Promotion Act
  3. Copy of corporate registration
  4. Copy of certificate of tax payment from the year before
  5. Copy of financial statements from the previous year
  6. Information about the current employees in the company

You must also submit these personal documents:

  1. Valid passport
  2. Passport photos
  3. Completed, signed visa application form
  4. Original CCVI
  5. Fees

This usually takes 1-4 weeks to process.

Click here for some information about teaching English in South Korea.

Student Visas

To study in Korea, you must first be accepted by an accredited Korean education institution. You must then apply for a D-2 visa. You should then download and complete the Application for Visa Issuance from the South Korea Immigration website. You must take it to your nearest Korean consulate or embassy.

You must also provide the following documents:

  1. Photocopy of your passport
  2. Color passport photo
  3. Admission letter from your school
  4. Certificates of your academic achievements
  5. Bank statement to show you have money
  6. Fees

Click here for information about education in South Korea.

Moving Pets

To import your cat or dog into Korea, you must have it vaccinated against rabies, and provide proof for this. It must also have a valid health certificate. Keep in mind that cats and dogs are treated differently in South Korea than they are in Western countries. Dogs are sometimes eaten, often in rural areas, and some Koreans are afraid of cats.

Other Information

Click here for a map of South Korea.

Click here for an overview of history and other information on South Korea.

Click here for information on real estate in South Korea.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *