Travel & Expat Lifestyle Magazine

Moving to Spain

The Kingdom of Spain is a beautiful country, a member of the EU that is highly developed, has advanced living standards and has the ninth largest world economy. Its history is characterized both by external influences, such as the Moors, as well as its imperial influence on the rest of the world.

Visas in Spain:

EU citizens need not apply for a visa in Spain.

If you want to live in Spain, you must first get a visa in a Spanish Consulate or Embassy cloest to your home, which allows you to live in Spain for one to three months (depending on your nationality). After that, you can start to work on your citizenship.

To apply for a visa, you must submit in person:

  1. Passport, three photocopies
  2. Four recent photos
  3. Marriage certificate, if applicable
  4. Certificate of good conduct from the police, translated into Spanish
  5. Medical certificate from doctor
  6. Proof of medical insurace

If you wish to retire in Spain, you also must submit proof of your pension and proof of any source of income.

Work Visas in Spain:

Spain has a high unemployment rate, so it is difficult to get a job as a foreigner. However, to apply for an employment visa, you should have a job lined up. Then you must submit the following documents:

  1. Official application form signed and stamped by your employer
  2. 3 passport photos
  3. Photocopy and original of passport
  4. Official job offer form, signed by employer
  5. Official company fiscal identity document
  6. Social security inscription document, along with documents TC-1 and TC-2
  7. Original documents from Tesoreria General de la Seguridad Social and the Agencia Estatal de Administración Tributaria, which prove you have no tax debt
  8. Official certification of job offer, and proof that no European has applied
  9. Document from company explaining why a non-European should work there
  10. Original and copies of degrees, approved by Spanish Ministry of Education and Culture

Click here for information about jobs in Spain.

Student Visas in Spain:

Students from many countries do not need a visa if they are studying in Spain for 90 days or less.

For a visa up to 180 days, you must apply in person at your nearest Spanish embassy or consulate two to four months before your program starts. This type of visa cannot be renewed or extended.

To apply, you must submit:

  1. Two completed application forms
  2. Two recent passport photos
  3. Passport
  4. Other ID, such as a driver’s license or student ID card
  5. Acceptance letter with school name and address
  6. Proof of financial resources
  7. Proof of health insurance
  8. Visa fee
  9. Self-addressed envelope to get your passport back

For a student visa over 180 days, you must submit your criminal records along with proof that you are healthy. You will be given a student visa for three months, in which you replace it with a student card within the first month you are there, which will usually last you a year.

To apply for this visa, you must bring:

  1. An EX-15 form
  2. Your passport
  3. Three passport photos
  4. Student visa
  5. Proof of your acceptance to a Spanish program
  6. Proof of financial resources
  7. Receipt from student card fee

Click here for more details, and information about working or interning on a student visa.

Click here for details, and a list of countries that do not need to apply for short-term visas.

Moving Pets to Spain:

Moving your cat, dog or ferret to Spain is not difficult, but they must be over three months old. They must be identified through a microchip or tattoo. You must take a veterinary certificate, including the following information:

  1. Identification of owner
  2. Description and origin of animal
  3. Microchip/ID Number
  4. Information on rabies vaccine

Click here for information about the move.

Other Information:

ShBarcelona is one of the oldest estate agent of Barcelona. Contact them to rent an apartment for a week-end, a week or a month.

Visit Spain Expat for details about anything from laws, slang to television.

Visit Transitions Abroad for further details about relocating.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *