Travel & Expat Lifestyle Magazine

Moving to Sweden

Sweden is a Nordic, Scandinavian country with a low population density. Its capital is Stockholm, and 85% of the population lives in urban areas, mostly concentrated in the South. It is a constitutional monarchy with a parliamentary government, and has a highly developed economy. It has a temperate climate. It also has one of the best education systems in the world. Its main language is Swedish, but many citizens speak English, as it is commonly taught in the schools.


To enter Sweden, citizens of many countries require and entrance visa, which can be obtained through a Swedish embassy or consulate, and lasts up to 90 days. Click here for information about applying for a Tourist Visa. Click here for information about applying for a visa to visit friends or relatives.

Work Visa

Nordic, EU and EEA citizens do not require a work permit, but all others do. To obtain a work permit, you must have an Offer of Employment from an employer or client in Sweden. Your job must have been advertised to Europeans for at least ten days, and you must be able to support yourself on this job by making a minimum amount. Also, the relevant trade union has to have been given the opportunity to express the opinion on the circumstances of employment. You are required to possess a valid passport. You must apply for this permit from outside of Sweden in most conditions. Work permits will generally be valid for 2 years, and then you can apply to be a permanent resident.

Click here to view an application form in English.

Click here for information for Business Visas.

Student Visa

If you plan to study in Sweden for over three months, you are required to have a residence permit. You must apply through a Swedish consulate or embassy. Sweden has many advanced universities, and much of the public holds university or graduate degrees.

You must submit the following documents:

  1. Copies of your passport
  2. Two passport sized photographs
  3. Certificate that states you are enrolled for full-time study
  4. Certificate of health insurance
  5. A bank statement to show you can support yourself

If necessary, you must also show scholarships and grants by your school to show that money will not be an issue.

Click here the view an application form in English.

Moving Pets

In order to import your pet to Sweden, you must have it microchipped and vaccinated against rabies. Cats and dogs must also be vaccinated against tapeworms before arrival. You must present an International Health Certificate, an EU Vet Health Certificate and proof of microchipping and vaccinating.

Click here for more information.

Other Information

Click here for a useful blog about advice for moving to Sweden.

Click here for cultural resources.

Click here for immigration statistics.

Visit Moving2Sweden for relocation services.

Visit The Local, Sweden’s English newspaper.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *