Travel & Expat Lifestyle Magazine

Moving to Trinidad and Tobago

Trinidad and Tobago is composed of two islands and some small land forms, and the country is situated between the North Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea. It has a population of about 1.3 million, and it is outside of the hurricane belt. Its official language is English, and it has an industrial economy. Many ethnic groups live in this country, including Africans, Indians, Venezuelans, Spaniards, French Creoles, Portugeuese, Chinese, Lebanese and more. It is a parliamentary republic, and its capital is Port of Spain.


Work Permits

Any foreigner who wishes to work in Trinidad and Tobago is required to obtain a work permit through the Ministry of National Security. They are issued to people who have specialized skills that are unavailable in Trinidad and Tobago. Work permits are individual, and only are issued to one person specifically, for their job and its duration.

You can apply for a work permit in person yourself. You can also have it done on your behalf by your prospective employer, an appointed attorney in Trinidad and Tobago, or an appointed company acting on behalf of a foreign company. Either you or one of these parties is required to complete one original and seven copies of your work permit application. You must also submit a police certificate from your country of origin, as well as a copy of your valid foreign passport.

After this is all submitted to the Work Permits Advisory Committee of the Ministry of National Security, they will review your application and possibly ask for additional information. After it passes, they will forward your application to the Minister for approval.

Student Visa

To apply for a student visa, you must submit the following:

  1. Completed application form
  2. Letter of acceptance from your school
  3. Valid return ticket or security deposit
  4. Proof of funds
  5. Proof of accommodations

Click here for more information.

Moving Pets

In order to import your pet to Trinidad and Tobago, it is necessary that you first obtain a permit from the Veterinary Services Division. You must also obtain an Importation License. Dogs and cats may need to undergo a maximum of 6 months quarantine, but you can reduce this to one month if you follow everything properly. Dogs must be microchipped; both dogs and cats must be vaccinated against rabies. Cats and dogs also must have a blood test to show that the vaccine is working. There are strict time limits to when you can do everything, so make sure you are on top of the process.

Click here, and scroll to the bottom, for more information.

Other Information

Click here for the immigration department of Trinidad and Tobago.

Click here for information on real estate in Trinidad and Tobago.

Click here for a map of Trinidad and Tobago.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *