Travel & Expat Lifestyle Magazine

Moving to Monaco

The Principality of Monaco is a small sovereign city-state in south western Europe, on the northern central Mediterranean coast. It is around 2 square kilometers in size, and has a population of 33,000. It is the world’s smallest French-speaking country, and it is densely populated. It takes about an hour to walk from either side of the country. It is a tax-haven made up mostly of rich people from other countries. It is a constitutional monarchy and principality, but its defense responsibility is under France.


Work Permits

Many citizens of the EU and EEA do not need to have any permits to work in Monaco. Citizens of Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia must apply for a work permit, however.

All others must have both a work permit and a residency permit, which are interdependent. Your prospective employer must prove that nobody in the EU or EEA countries would be able to fillyour position. This process could take 4-6 months to complete, and smaller firms are less likely to go through with it.

Your company is required to publish the position at the APNE, Monaco’s national employment agency. If no one applies for the position, then the company has to forward the information about the position to the Employment Service. Your employer will also have to submit information about your personal qualifications, education and experience so that the Employment Service can determine your eligibility. If they pass you, you will have to submit a medical examination before your work and residence permits are granted.

There are several different types of work permits in Monaco. One is the temporary residency permit, where your contracted job is specified, such as a scientist, artist or employee. Then there is the temporary work permit, where you are on the payroll of an overseas company. Then there is a seasonal work contract, which determines your job and its short length.

Student Visas

Many foreign nationals do not require visas to stay and study in Monaco for up to 90 days.

However, if you do require a visa for up to 90 days, you must obtain a short-stay visa. To stay in Monaco and study for 3-6 months, you must apply for a long-stay visa.

To apply for such visas, you must submit the following:

  1. Valid passport
  2. Proof of funds
  3. Proof of health insurance
  4. Proof of acceptance to a school
  5. Visa fees

If you are going to Monaco under the long-stay visa, you must apply for a temporary stay permit after you arrive there.

Click here for more information.

Moving Pets

In order to move your pet to Monaco, it must be microchipped or tattooed for identity purposes. It also must be vaccinated against rabies, and you must prove that this vaccine is working by a blood test. Your accredited veterinarian may issue you an EU Pets Passport under such circumstances. There may by other requirements depending on your country of departure.

Other Information

Click here for information about real estate in Monaco.

Click here for a map of Monaco.

Click here for general history about Monaco.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *